Depression is a mood disorder, manifested by a bad mood, and also by various other symptoms.
Patients suffering from depression manage to lead a healthy and normal life, if they treat it properly. In the case of a severe depression, people have numerous difficulties to lead an active life and it may even be life-threatening.
The most common symptoms and signs of depression are this:
Sadness, anxiety, or “empty” feelings
- Feelings of guilt
- Fatigue and reduced energy
- Irritability, restlessness
- Feelings of hopelessness
- Insomnia or excessive sleeping
- Difficulties concentrating and indecisiveness
- Suicidal thoughts, suicide attempts
Lucky for us, nature has provided an incredibly effective natural spice, turmeric, which treats numerous diseases and conditions.
It has been proven helpful in the case of Alzheimer’s, prevents the breakdown of cells into cancerous cells, reduces the levels of LDL cholesterol in the body, cures skin cancer, and is beneficial in the case of liver issues, acidity, stomach disorders, pains, diarrhea, arthritis…
Turmeric has amazing health properties, including:
- It is abundant in antioxidants
- It has potent anti-inflammatory benefits
- It fights depression
- It reduces the risk of developing heart disease
- It supports the brain
The most common drug in the treatment of depression is Prozac. However, it have serious side-effects, like suicidal effects, breathing difficulties, and bleeding in the stomach.
Researchers have found that turmeric’s active ingredient, curcumin, has the same effect in treating major depressive disorder as fluoxetine (Prozac), but it does not cause any of its harmful effects.
Here is a recipe for turmeric lemonade which can be of great help:
What you need:
- the juice of one and a half lemons or limes
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated or powdered turmeric
- 4 tablespoons 100% maple syrup, Stevia or honey
- 4 cups cold filtered or sparkling water
- the juice of 1 blood orange (optional)
How do you make it:
In a small pitcher, mix all of the ingredients, and stir well. You can serve it garnished with a lemon slice.